What is an acceptable O/S for a 286? (Was: Re: microport memory)

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Thu May 26 21:20:32 AEST 1988

In article <May.25.20.30.23.1988.15132 at aramis.rutgers.edu> hedrick at aramis.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
 >However I am reluctant to recommend SV/AT in any configuration, lest I
 >mislead people into believing that I endorse it.  I had originally
 >written a long paragraph describing the reasons I can't stand SV/AT.
 >(My problems are not with Microport specifically, by the way, but with
 >System V.)  Because this group has generally been mercifully free of
 >flames, I've decided to omit it.  However I would like to be sure that
 >no one interprets my participation in this group as meaning that I
 >consider system V release 2 as an acceptable operating system,
 >particularly for a personal computer.

Well -- would you care to tell us what **IS** an acceptable OS for a personal
computer?

MS-DOS? OS/2?

Why, then, are you using UNIX System V?

And what, specifically, makes UNIX System V Release 2 so unacceptable?

Now that you have whet our appetites, let us hear it! There is a difference
between reasonable criticism and flames (although many netters don't seem
to know that difference). By all means lets have reasonable criticism --
after all this is not comp.ostrich (head in the sand) :-).
UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp at DESEES.DAS.NET or wnp at dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD