Optomizer (used to be: nethack on uport sys V)

Michael J. Young mjy at sdti.UUCP
Mon May 23 23:44:00 AEST 1988

In article <400 at smegma.UUCP> mdg at smegma.UUCP (Marc de Groot) writes:
>Just a quick note that down at Microport, we compile the entire kernel
>with the optimizer turned on and don't have any problems. That's not to
>say they don't exist, but we have had good success with the optimizer.

Gee, maybe now we know the source of dual-drive disk I/O errors!  :-)

Seriously, though, either that optimizer doesn't do anything useful, or
you will eventually run into problems with the driver code.  Most of
the discussion in comp.lang.c about use of 'volatile' should make it
clear why optimizers and device drivers don't mix well.
--
Mike Young - Software Development Technologies, Inc., Sudbury MA 01776
UUCP     : {decvax,harvard,linus,mit-eddie}!necntc!necis!mrst!sdti!mjy