Microport System V/386 install woes

Greg Hackney hack at bellboy.UUCP
Sun May 15 10:03:30 AEST 1988

In article <1984 at sugar.UUCP> karl at sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>I'm helping a friend of mine who owns a computer store try to install $1200
>worth of Microport software on a 386/20 clone.  It has three meg of RAM
>and an 80 meg Seagate drive.
>
>First off, the surface analysis program doesn't work.  It bombs.

Karl, I just got a 386 clone, Microport 386, a Seagate 4096
80MB drive, a Seagate ST225 20MB drive, and all is running
wonderfully well.

I saw some articles about people having hell with their disk
drives. So I chose a different formatter.

I used the "Seagate Disk Manager" that is supposed to come free
with every new Seagate drive. I used to it to low level format my
drives with an interleave of 3.

When I booted uPort, it asked if I wanted to format the drives. I said no.
I have not have a single system panic or file system corruption
for the 2 weeks it has been running. (Including a full netnews feed).

>The fact is, installing Microport Unix is still for gurus only

I had absolutely no problems with the install. I just followed
along with the installation menu.

BTW, I'm using the Western Digital WD-1003 controller.

--
Greg