How does dial(3C) work?

Ken Spagnolo ken at umbc3.UMD.EDU
Thu May 12 07:48:33 AEST 1988

I am running V/386 and can't seem to get dial to work.  It can't seem
to get the device it needs.  Using trial and error in setting the CALL
structure fields, I have gotten these error codes back.
-8 - requested device not available
-9 - requested device not known
-11 - no device known at requested baud
-12 - (this one isn't even in the manual!)
I have also played with /usr/lib/uucp/Devices a bit, setting the description
for device /dev/ttyid to both of the following:
ACU ttyid ttyid 1200 hayes      and
Direct ttyid - 1200 direct

Has anyone gotten dial to work?  I know that cu uses it and works fine.
I would appreciate any info (examples?) that anyone has.  Thanx.

Ken Spagnolo
ken at umbc3.umd.edu or uunet!umbc3!ken