Microport System V/386 install woes

David F. Carlson dave at micropen
Thu May 19 23:48:57 AEST 1988

In article <26531 at clyde.ATT.COM>, wtr at moss.ATT.COM writes:
> In article <1984 at sugar.UUCP> karl at sugar.UUCP (Karl Lehenbauer)
> writes:
> >I'm helping a friend of mine who owns a computer store try
> to install $1200 worth of Microport software on a 386/20 clone.
> It has three meg of RAM and an 80 meg Seagate drive.
>
> >First off, the surface analysis program doesn't work.  It bombs.
>
> If you are going with the the seagate drive, try using the seagate
> DISKMANAGER software (not actually seagate's, but they distribute it
> with their drives) boot dos and use this to do your low level & bad
> block scan.  this tends to make installation a lot easier.  this is

 NOT TAKE THIS ADVICE!!!!!!

Only on SV/AT (ie 286) is the dos bad sector mapping scheme used under
UNIX.  On SV/386, the AT vtoc virtual disk mapping scheme is used for
greater SV compatibility.  At first I criticized Microport (ie Interactive)
for this but on second thought: I don't trust DOS bad sector mapping for S&%#.

The bad sector mappings are very different and incompatible.

Pedestrian advice is dangerous to your system's health.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll