Microport System V/386 install woes

David F. Carlson dave at micropen
Tue May 24 06:02:37 AEST 1988

In article <1101 at ddsw1.UUCP>, karl at ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) writes:
> In article <26531 at clyde.ATT.COM> wtr at moss.UUCP (Bill Rankin) writes:
> >>I'm helping a friend of mine who owns a computer store try
> >to install $1200 worth of Microport software on a 386/20 clone.
> >It has three meg of RAM and an 80 meg Seagate drive.
> >
> How many of you out there have a *reliable* system with Microport and the
> Seagate 80M drives? (ST4096 -- 9 heads, 1024 cyls).
>
> We found that this drive *requires* that you set one of the HD options,
> "Control byte", to 8 (default is zero) or the drive will fail at an
> used -- which is normally zero!  Not many clones have a ROM table entry
> for the Seagate 4096 drives......
> Karl Denninger                 |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
> ...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl            | "Quality solutions for work or play"

If using a "modern" disk controller (say post-1986 ROMS) I have had 0.0 problems
from my 2-ST4096s.  My machine (Everex STEP 386/20) has had over a month of
uptime (although preventive maintainance is tomorrow!).  No monkeying or
dick-factor involved at all.  I've also done an install with a Micronics
generic clone with similarly non-existant problems.  (All with SV/386.)
And surface analysis fails but all my new drives have correct data.

postnews fodder....
postnews fodder....
postnews fodder....
postnews fodder....
postnews fodder....

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll