Optomizer (used to be: nethack on uport sys V)

Steve Benz mrspock at hubcap.UUCP
Tue May 17 23:51:22 AEST 1988

>From article <229 at eutrc3.UUCP>, by wswietse at eutrc3.UUCP (Wietse Venema):
> No problem compiling nethack. Just don't use the optimizer.

  Has anybody found any redeaming features of the Optomizer on 286
Microport?  I haven't.  All I know is that with the optomizer turned
on, you get:

  1) A good chance of compiler failure.
  2) Given #1, it seems to me that there are probably cases where
     the optomizer will produce bad code without telling you.
  3) Compile times that are about twice as long as without the optomizer.
  4) About 2-4% faster code.

  You can draw your own conclusions from this.  But as for me,
I turn the optomizer off as a matter of course when I get new
software, and never compile without '-g' when doing my own stuff.

				- Steve Benz