dump/restore

Erik Murrey erik at mpx2.UUCP
Wed Nov 2 01:19:41 AEST 1988

In article <10789 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, ggs at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:
> Which version of `restore' are you using?  Blocks are dumped in file
> order.  The 4.[23]BSD version of restore puts files into a directory
> tree using standard `write' and `seek' operations.  Fragmentation IS
> reduced, but the original fragmentation seems to be insignificant on
> the disks I have seen.

I should have said that I am running on a SCO Xenix 2.3.1 system.  It
now (as of this release) uses the SysV "fsphoto" stuff which seems to
be equivelent (on the surface..  i.e.  I, II, III, IV, etc appear when
dumping) to the dump/restore that I had on the older versions of
Xenix.  The only docs I have are for fsphoto and fssave, etc.
Somewhere buiried in the docs I found that you couldn't restore onto a
filesystem that has a different size.

Any idea of what dump/restore version fsphoto/fssave came from?  Is it
completely different?

... Erik--
Erik Murrey
MPX Data Systems, Inc.