Upgrade from Sys V/AT to 386 ???

Daniel Senie dts at cloud9.UUCP
Wed Nov 23 09:08:27 AEST 1988

In article <672 at wa3wbu.UUCP>, john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>     I beleive this has been discussed before but has the mechanisms ever
> been put in place to allow a current user of Sys V/AT 2.4U to upgrade
> to Sys V 386 without paying full price ??  Inquiring minds want to
> know. :-)

I had a talk with one of the sales types at Microport about this. If you want
to update a kit containing everything (OS, software development tools, text
processing) the cost is $585 or so. If you just want the OS, the price was
substantially less (under $200).

At the time, I decided to wait at least until the next major rev. came out
(which it just did), but still am not sure if I want to sink another $500
plus into microport. One note from the conversation with the sales type
which will give people a good chuckle: I asked why I should buy from microport
over ATT, Bell, etc., and was told that the reason was that "Microport does
such an excellent job of support!" (If that were true, I may have actually
gotten some use out of my 286 version!).

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts at harvard.harvard.edu
55 Fairbanks Blvd.         CSRV: 74176,1347
Marlboro, MA 01752	   TEL.: 508 - 460 - 2686