Interactive UNIX V.3 and EGA

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.UUCP
Mon Nov 28 22:46:02 AEST 1988

In article <564 at redsox.UUCP> campbell at redsox.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>In article <388 at super8.UUCP> manfred at supgmbh.UUCP (Manfred Nikodem) writes:
>
>}I am using Interactive Unix SYS V.3 and try to program a EGA card in
>}graphics mode. Who knows, how to put the data into the Bitmap of the
>}EGA card?
>
>This is actually documented.  In the binder entitled "Supplements" there are
>man pages for the Interactive extensions to SVR3.  Read the man page for
>display(7); in particular, the KDSETMODE ioctl, which allows you to put the
>current console into graphics mode, and the KDMAPDISP ioctl which allows you
>to map the EGA's screen memory into your address space.

The KDSETMODE KD_GRAPHICS call is a misnomer, as it doesn't actually
put the display into a graphics mode.  It just prepares things so
that YOU can finish the job.  Also, you'll need to refer to the vt(7)
manual page, because you'll want to create a virtual terminal for
the display.

You'll need to program the EGA chipset into the proper mode, etc,
yourself.  You do this with the inline in[bw]() and out[bw]() functions
and a reference manual for the EGA.  There is a good book on the EGA
available, but I can't find my copy, so I can't give you the title.
Maybe somebody else has it?  I think its a Microsoft Press book.

It can be done, but the support that ISC provides is most basic.
--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2