Mail to uport doesn't work

Scott Turner scotty at l5comp.UUCP
Tue Nov 1 12:34:03 AEST 1988

In article <4893 at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>1) Accessing /dev/lp while my HP Series II laser printer is off causes
>/dev/lp to not work until I reboot (even after turning the printer on).

Well, you're one up on this site. Here the /dev/lp doesn't work at all...

>2) I can't run mkpart -A to add a bad sector without doing it from the
>build disk.

This worked fine at this site from super user mode WHILE in multi-user mode.

>7) Directly attaching the lp port didn't seem to work at all under Merge.

This works fine here. We also have a 'pprint' program for use under unix
that uses /dev/mem to do direct I/O port accesses to get bytes out the p-port.
(Why the unix driver doesn't work is a mystery)

>Suggestions:
>
>Acks on reciepts of bug reports/mail would be nice.

With the lousy track record uport has at reliable mail delivery I'd say this
would be REQUIRED not 'nice'.

>Online Sys V.3 man pages as a standard item would be nice.

YEAH! I've been looking for these guys since March '88. They're damn hard to
come by. :(

>Pty support would be nice.

Comes with X-Windows.

Scott Turner
scotty at l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty