dump/restore

Andrew ValenciaSeattle vandys at hpcupt1.HP.COM
Thu Nov 3 08:26:41 AEST 1988

/ hpcupt1:comp.unix.microport / guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) / 11:47 pm  Nov  1, 1988 /
>>How do I make backups of special files with cpio?--

>You say "find ... | cpio -o ...".  "cpio" is smart enough not to try to
>open and read special files; it writes special entries that tell the
>"cpio" that reads the tape to "mknod" the appropriate file.

	I believe the "-x" option gives this behaviour; otherwise it
won't be "smart".  I can believe that some vendors have made -x the
default; it seems to be the safer option in general.

					Andy