term.c for rn on uport 286

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Wed Nov 23 07:49:37 AEST 1988

In article <153 at tree.UUCP> stever at tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
>In article <405 at zinn.MV.COM>, mem at zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
>>
>> When I upgraded to 2.4 of System V/AT, I got segmentation violations
>> out of term.c in rn.  Because of the comments I'd read here about
>> the new curses being buggy, I simply went back to the curses
>> library from the previous release.  Voila, no more segmentation
>> errors.
>Can anyone here second that curses is the source of the errors?

I'd like some confirmation of that too.... or lack thereof.

We've got AKCS, our conferencing package, compiled under the new 2.4
version, and didn't see _anything_ in the way of core-dump-on-init problems
that others reported here.  In fact, it seemed to work much better than the
older, 2.3 version of the curses libraries...

AKCS uses multiple windows on one screen (newwin()s) and lots of
manipulation; I expected it to crash given the early reports.

It hasn't been beaten up really well yet (we don't have 2.4, but one of
our customers does and we built it there) but from what we can see here
the early reports of curses-caused core dumps look like lots of smoke, but
no fire.

On the other hand, I haven't seen _any_ change in serial I/O behavior
(at 9600 baud it still can't hack even a single incoming line w/o hardware
assist of some kind).

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"