Giant Price Hikes for System V Release 4

Karl Lehenbauer karl at sugar.uu.net
Fri Nov 18 11:03:07 AEST 1988

...spoke with a salesperson at Bell Technologies yesterday and was told
that System V/4 is going to cost about $1300 and there isn't likely to
be an upgrade for V/3 people.  This person claimed that AT&T had super
jacked-up the rates and similar price hikes will occur from all other vendors.

This is really unfortunate, if true.  It's bad for Unix.  The price is
going in the wrong direction, know what I mean?  I don't suppose OSF is
going to be much help, pity GNU's restrictions prevent any sort of
value-added resale.

Anyone want to work on a PD Unix clone?  (2/3 :-)
--
-- "We've been following your progress with considerable interest, not to say
-- contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV