fsck weirdness

David F. Carlson dave at micropen
Tue Apr 4 03:28:04 AEST 1989

In article <637 at n3dmc.UU.NET>, johnl at n3dmc.UU.NET (John Limpert) writes:

> I recently ran into a bunch of problems with fsck and my news
> filesystem.  It started out with the filesystem getting really
> messed up with multiply allocated disk blocks.
> This all sounds like some problems that had been previously reported
> on comp.unix.microport.  Am I on the right track?
> --
> John A. Limpert
> UUCP:	johnl at n3dmc.UUCP, johnl at n3dmc.UU.NET, uunet!n3dmc!johnl

A couple of notes:

1).  fsck has several bugs.  Be very careful.
2).  SVR3.0 has a file system bug that shows up when a fs runs out of blocks
or inodes.  Fsck(1) cannot fix it.  mkfs(1) does.  Tough luck!

3).  In general, putting /usr/spool on a separate partition is a "good"
thing since it is liable to overflow and other /usr functions might be
compromised.  I go so far as to mount a seperate file system for
/usr/spool/news, as mine has found the SV file system full bug several
times due to overflow on weekends.  This I did before I was even on microport
but it becomes even more imperative under SVr3.0.

4).  Don't put /usr, /usr/spool and /usr/spool/news on the same partition and
complain here about trashed file systems:  you have been warned!

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave at ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll