Microport Buyout ( was: Microport Status )

Timothy L. Kay tim at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
Tue Apr 11 06:50:09 AEST 1989

You aren't seriously considering a Microport buyout, are you?  As has
been pointed out, they really don't have that much of value, and they
carry a pretty bad reputation.

They do have one thing to offer, though.  Wouldn't it be nice if the
device drivers they produced somehow end up in the public domain, or
even better, in the hands of the Free Software Foundation?  Ideally,
somebody could propose a mechanism whereby Microport (in the absence
of an interested buyer) would donate their device drivers to the Free
Software Foundation.

I am aghast at the poor quality of *all* the 386 Unix's, and I am
going to be one of the first people to adopt GNU if we ever get the
chance.

Tim