Microport, FSF, etc.

Timothy L. Kay tim at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
Mon Apr 17 08:17:59 AEST 1989

In article <15741 at clover.ICO.ISC.COM> rcd at ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) writes:
>> >       And the FSF doesn't have that kind of money to spend, and thier
>> >goal is to build a Unix system that is totally free of any AT&T code,

>Well, speaking as someone who owns a 286 machine and an older release of [...]
>So the reason I won't send all that money to OSF is that it won't give me a
					      ^^^

Arggggggh!  The OSF is not the FSF!!!

	OSF = Open Software Foundation
	FSF = Free Software Foundation

The OSF is a collaboration of companies such as IBM, Apollo (now HP),
etc., whose goal is to come up with a competing (with AT&T/Sun)
standard Un*x-like product.  They are basing their code on IBM AIX
which is itself based on the AT&T code.

The FSF is Richard Stallman's group, who are providing GNU Emacs, GNU
gcc, etc. for *free*.  They are also planning GNU, the Un*x-like
kernel that will be *free*, involving no AT&T code.

Tim