386 3.0e login patch allows root anywhere

Larry Williamson larry at focsys.UUCP
Sat Apr 22 01:44:52 AEST 1989

In article <12502 at reed.UUCP> keithb at reed.UUCP (Keith Brown) writes:

>I hacked into the login program and found a one-byte change that moves
>the 'restricted to (main) console' UID from 0 (root) to any other value
>
> [..]  Should I post it?

Sure, why not?

But then would it not be easier to simply install the login replacement
that "John F.  Haug II" posted a few weeks back?

You get shadow passwords.

You can define what ports 'root' can log in on.

You have the source, so you don't have to patch binaries.

etc, etc, etc.
--
Larry Williamson  -- Focus Systems -- Waterloo, Ontario
                  watmath!focsys!larry  (519) 746-4918