How to install HP LaserJet II??

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Sat Apr 8 09:58:55 AEST 1989

In article <11828 at ut-emx.UUCP> mike at ut-emx.UUCP (Mike O'Donnell) writes:
>We have a HP LaserJet II printer connected to a 386 running
>Microport SYS V 386 and DOS Merge.  I am having difficulties
>... cat filename > /dev/lp1 , a 'can't create device' error message...
>
>Thanks, Mike O'Donnell

Try the following, in order to find out which port is used by the printer:
(The ^L is formed by holding down the CONTROL key and pressing "L".  It will NOT
show up on the screen, though, so don't hold down the "L" key!  Each ^L tells
the printer to print another page ...)
	echo hello ^L > /dev/rlp0
	echo hello ^L > /dev/rlp1
	echo hello ^L > /dev/rlp2
and see which one works.  Then do
	ln /dev/rlpX /dev/lp  # where X is one of 0 1 2 (above) which worked.
          ________________     __________________     ___________________

If you don't have the /dev/rlp? device nodes you can create them yourself.
Type in the command:
	ls -l /dev/lp0
which displays something like:

	crw-rw-rw-  1 root    7,   0 Apr 3 09:16 /dev/lp0
			     ^^^
where the "7" is the major number of the lp driver.  If you get a different number
then just substitute it for the "7"s I will use.
Type the following commands:
	mknod /dev/rlp0 c 7 128
	mknod /dev/rlp1 c 7 129
	mknod /dev/rlp2 c 7 130
Thats all.  The rlp device acts like the lp device with transparent mode always OFF.

  -John Plocher