com3 & com4 -> tty2 & tty3

dpgerdes at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu dpgerdes at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 25 01:07:00 AEST 1989

/* Written  9:14 pm  Apr 19, 1989 by plocher%sally at Sun.COM in osiris.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.microport */

>You can not use IRQ2 for anything under Unix - it is already used by the
>system.

  I am getting tired of people making statements like the above with
no explanation.  The only thing I have been able to pin down about int 2 is
that the EGA board uses it, if properly enabled.  With that assumption,
I proceeded to install an Excelan board and uPort driver on int 2 (ALL the
others were used) and I have had NO problems with it.
  I then proceeded to try the same interupt with Wollogong's (buggy) TCP
software with a 503 board and NSE, and the board refused to work until I
changed interupt levels.
  Any ideas as to what is really going on?

    -dave gerdes