Another fix for the SYSV inode problem

T. William Wells bill at twwells.uucp
Thu Feb 2 04:41:01 AEST 1989

In article <153 at egsner.UUCP> eric at egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) writes:
: In article <347 at twwells.uucp> bill at twwells.UUCP (T. William Wells) writes:
: -System V/386 Release 3. I'm running Microport's 3.0e; and here is
: -what is going on.
: -...
: -Then rebuild your kernel. All kernels made after this change will
: -have the fix.
:
: My questions are:
:
:       1.  Will this fix work on 2.2... ( I realize the addresses are
: probably different, any hints what the new(old?) addresses are? )

It might, but someone will have to go look.

:       2. ( and more importantly.. )  Has a similar fix been found for
: Microport System V/AT?  I am currently running fsck nightly from a
: crontab to keep news from killing my system, and would like to stop.

I dunno. Someone with a disassembler should have no problem creating
such a fix, if it can be done at all.  If you want to do it, go get
_The Design of the UNIX Operating System_, (Maurice J. Bach,
Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-201799-7), it gives rather detailed (though
not C code!) descriptions of what goes on in the UNIX kernel. It is
based on Release 2, though it is still a useful guide for Release 3.
 For example, there is pseudocode for ialloc (aka s5ialloc) on page
78, something really useful when trying to understand the assembly.

BTW, running fsck doesn't prevent the bug. Twice now I've had the
inode bug hit me within minutes of fsck'ing my system.

---
Bill
{ uunet!proxftl | novavax } !twwells!bill