Internal serial ports under AT&T 3.2

Dave Remien dave at pmafire.UUCP
Sun Feb 26 04:15:25 AEST 1989

Remember all the flaming about internal serial ports (COM1 and COM2)
being unable to handle significant (i.e., over 2400) baud rates under
UNIX (Microport took most of the heat), where SCO had no problems? I've
been working on a 20Mhz AT&T 6386WGE (WGE!?) tower, and under AT&T V/386
3.2, the internal port can't reliably handle 1200 baud, on an unloaded
system.  An AT&T IPC-802 intelligent card can handle the serial I/O
without problems, but plugging an HP Paintjet into one of it's two
parallel ports causes the Wangtek 125Mb tape drive to fail, and then the
serial ports act weirdly (sometimes you can talk to 'em, sometimes you
can't).  Plugging the Paintjet into the internal parallel port,
everything works fine.  Thought I was going bananas, until I discovered
that.

--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Engineering Group (only somewhat confused, now)
Work - 208-526-3523 Home - 208-524-1906 UUCP Path: ...!bigtex!pmafire!dave