Of Large Mailboxes, Elm, and uPort

Frank Bicknell frankb at usource.UUCP
Tue Feb 21 23:03:14 AEST 1989

In article <500 at fallst.UUCP>, tkevans at fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
> I just returned from a brief vacation and found my mailbox
> fairly full (90-odd messages.)  Elm attempted to create its
> temporary copy of the mailbox file, but apparently ran out
> of space in /tmp.  Only the first half-dozen (the most
> recent) messages showed any content on Elm's listing; the
> rest showed _zero_ line-lengths.  After reading and deleting

I have had a similar, but not quite so destructive
experience under Xenix 2.3.1 (386, but code compiled with
286 compiler).  I doesn't seem to have anything to do with
how much space is available for a /tmp/... file.  My error
ocurrs when the message counter passes about 140 or so (I
think it is dependant upon the size of the messages,
however).  The error message reads:

Segment Violation Signal!

Emergency Exit Taken!  All Temp Files Intact!

(once again: thank you, Intel, for your gift to the world of
segmented memory.... oops, I'm forgetting myself...)

As it turns out, editing the mailbox with vi to split it up into
managable pieces "fixes" the problem, and nothing is lost.

Anyone else had the same problem?
--
Frank Bicknell; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236-5701
killer!usource!frankb