16550A in uport 3.0e ('386)

Jon Zeeff zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
Tue Feb 14 12:56:15 AEST 1989

>: I have problems with the machine locking up when I install a 16550A
>: on a uport 3.0e system and enable the fifo.
>Yes.

>I enable it by writing 0xC9 to I/O port 0x3FA when I boot.  I have
>the standard driver.

This is what I do and after some time (like overnight), I find that the
process using the port is hung.  If I kill it and start another, the
entire machine locks up.  It sounds like a driver problem to me, although
I suppose it could be caused by some interaction with my serial card or
the 16550A I have.

BTW, have those poeple who had 16550A drivers in
>beta released them yet?

Good question.

>I've always had problems with my modem locking up, in that the modem
>transmits to the system but the system doesn't hear it. This has not
>changed since I installed the 16550A. However, this has never brought

I've seen this problem under Dos Merge, but never from Unix.  I did find
that the 16550A cured all the problems I had with using the serial ports
at 2400 bps under Dos Merge.

  Jon Zeeff			zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			mailrus!b-tech!zeeff