Microport System V/AT Assembly Language not documented

Heinz Naef whna at cgcha.uucp
Fri Feb 3 01:18:05 AEST 1989

The assembly language processed by the as(1) command of Microport System V/AT
has a completely different semantics, different instruction mnemonics and a
different assembler control (macro) language than usual assemblers for the
80x86 personal computers.

When writing a device driver at the lowest level (i. e. not on top of another
device driver) then there is a need to develop certain parts in assembly
language. With the documentation supplied by Microport for the System V/AT
program development and runtime system, it is *impossible* to even attempt to
write a minimum assembler program. Compared to the excellent documentation of
the linkkit, it is strange that there is no chapter on usage of the assembler
and on coding guidelines.

I repeatedly tried to directly contact technical support of Microport and
also Mr. Plocher and Mr. Sully. Even though I included the serial# of my
distribution, I didn't get any response.

Could anyone give me a pointer to related documentation, or post an
existing assembler program of reasonable size? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Heinz Naef, cgch!whna