Internal serial ports under AT&T 3.2

Mark McWiggins mark at intek01.UUCP
Tue Feb 28 05:24:07 AEST 1989

Gosh, this makes me feel better.  Well, not better, but at least not so
alone ... :)

I have Enix 3.2 and AT&T 3.2.  I first installed Enix.  Had serial port
problems.  Couldn't run getty at all on the port; got a flickering DTR
light and "respawn is happening too rapidly; check this line in your
inittab."  Couldn't reliably dial out via uucp with my Telebit; sometimes
it worked (usually just after a reboot), sometimes not.  Kermit mostly
worked fine, strangely enough, although I noticed that I couldn't change
line speeds without getting out of Kermit and back in.

We have an Everex tape drive, and Enix (distributed by Everex) comes with
a device driver for it.  I installed AT&T on a spare disk drive I have
just to make sure I could transfer over the tape driver.  That worked fine.
I had a slight suspicion of hardware weirdness with my serial port, so
while I was at it tried running a getty on it and having someone dial in.
This worked fine.

So ... I backed up my data and installed AT&T on my big hard disk.  Running
uucico -x4 I get "lost line - error 0" and finally CALLER SCRIPT FAILED.
Kermit hangs when I do "set line /dev/tty00".

Can anybody recommend a NON-intelligent add-on serial port board that has
been shown to work with AT&T 3.2?  We just want to run mail/news, and other
access to the system will be via ethernet.

Thanks in advance for any help.  *sigh*
--

Mark McWiggins			UUCP:		uunet!intek01!mark
DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong.	INTERNET:	intek01!mark at uunet.uu.net
						(206) 455-9935