Wangtek streamers

Otto J. Makela makela at tukki.jyu.fi
Sat Feb 18 01:23:27 AEST 1989

We have a 60M Wangtek Streamer drive & card system connected to an 20MHz
Unisys 800 (same as Acer 1100, more or less) running under 386 uPort 3.0e.
The drive was obtained through Unisys, and it came with their DOS software
(the packet was called QIC-60).
The drive is model 5099EN24, controller card is assy 30850-004 rev G4.

Now, the MicroPort 386 Unix manual says that some Everex systems and one
Wangtek system are supported.  The card/drive pair is NOT the same as
mentioned in the manual.  It does work some way, however, when DIPped the
same way as an Everex card would be.  The operation is not perfect; it
seems that the system will hang (!) if you try to write beyond the physical
end-of-tape, so it looks like the Unix thinks this is the 125M streamer
system.  The streamer system also seems slow (this might be a feature :-)

The $64 question is, are there MicroPort drivers available for these
streamer systems, and where could I get one ?  MicroPort ?  Wangtek ?
Does anyone have Wangtek's address/telephone number (Preferrably Europe,
United States perhaps, Hong Kong as last alternative) ?

Thanks in advance,
Otto J. Makela (with poetic license to kill), University of Jyvaskyla

InterNet: makela at tukki.jyu.fi, BitNet: MAKELA_OTTO_ at FINJYU.BITNET
BBS: +358 41 211 562 (V.22bis/V.22/V.21, 24h/d), Phone: +358 41 613 847
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE

PS. Does anyone know what "PANIC: splint: logic error in misc.s" means ?
We got that when we ran the Unisys 800 for a while with the cover open.