Two Drive Bug

John Gayman john at wa3wbu.UUCP
Sun Feb 12 05:35:47 AEST 1989

In article <401 at cocktrice.UUCP>, mdm at cocktrice.UUCP writes:
> I have been plagued with errors like:
>
> 	HD Error on drv 1 cyl %d head %d sec %d, ID not found
>
> Has anyone else had this problem (and possibly a solution for it--besides
> buy SCO). I thought that Microport had fixed the two drive bug, but now
> I am not so sure.

     I ran 2.3 for quite a while and would get the HD errors anytime I
  had heavy activity on both drives. It was for this reason that I
  resisted putting my /usr/spool directory on the second drive. One
  sure way to reproduce the bug was to do cpio's > /dev/null on both
  drives simultaneously.

     Upon installing 2.4U I exercised the drives quite heavily to get
  a feel for wether the drive bug was fixed or not. I ran everything I
  could think of including several simultaneous cpio's. I could not
  reproduce the drive bug and was confident it was fixed. I'm using
  two 28ms access drives (1-Miniscribe, 1-CDC). The errors you describe
  above are not common.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john at wa3wbu.uu.net
Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P