Making a makefile from within make

Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard jay at splut.UUCP
Fri Feb 10 10:28:02 AEST 1989

I'm trying to install B news version 3, patchlevel 6 (I'm a beta tester,
supposedly, but I've never been able to get the stuff to compile) under
System V/AT. I just installed version 2.4 of the software development
stuff in order to fix this problem, but no soap.

The situation:
The configuration stuff builds a copule of shell scripts and a couple of
header files. You then issue a "make -f Makefile.dst firstmake" command
to build the makefiles with all the variables set. The firstmake section
reads:

# On the first make, generate Makefile once just to set $(DIRLIST) properly,
# then force a re-generation so GenerateMake will attach correct prefixes
firstmake:
	./GenerateMake; touch Makefile.dst;
	make makefiles

And the makefiles section:

makefiles:
	make Makefile
	for x in $(DIRLIST); do (cd $$x; echo "$$x:"; $(MAKE) -f Makefile.dst Makefile); done

Makefile: Makefile.dst
	$(MAINDIR)/GenerateMake $(DIRLIST)

The "make makefiles" statement blows up with a "termination code 139".
HELP!!!

No, I don't have Microport's $149 "support" contract, so I haven't tried
calling them with this one.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:        uunet!nuchat!   (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.