How does Microport System V/AT handle bad blocks?

Michael Grenier mike at cimcor.mn.org
Wed Feb 1 11:40:49 AEST 1989

>>They didn't know it was fsck causing the problem until Steve took one of
>>their service techs through crashing a large file system and showed him
>>how fsck would corrupt it. This only happened a couple of months ago.
>
> Actually, they have been aware of it for much longer than that... Well
> over a year ago we were experiencing the same problem and had MANY
> long discussions with them regarding it.  They informed us that there
> was a known problem with fsck, and that "someone is working on it".
> This was with the 1.3.6 release.  As of the 2.2 release it still was
> not fixed.

True, however Microport DOES have a version (probably beta only) that
works fine up to file partitions in the 1/2 gigabyte region (.i.e 1024K
blocks).  I know because mine is working fine on this 180K block
partition.  It now runs in large model and no longer needs a temp file
and thus doesn't corrupt file systems by using it.

I don't know when it will be released officially but you could probably
get the beta version with a call to John Plocher at Microport.

    -Mike Grenier
     mike at cimcor.mn.org