Lost Console Recovery

John Plocher plocher%sally at Sun.COM
Sat Jul 22 14:49:41 AEST 1989

In article <5817 at pbhyf.PacBell.COM> peb at PacBell.COM (Pat Bowens) writes:

>I have a major problem that I need help with.  While working with 386
>release 3.0e, I carelessly turned off my console in etc/inittab.

Method 1:	If you have a getty running on a serial port

	Plug in a serial terminal, log in on it, su to root, fix things

Method 2:	If you don't...

Boot from your boot floppy
Hit del at the first prompt from the INSTALL script
At the shell prompt type the following:
	mount /dev/dsk/0s0 /mnt
	/mnt/bin/ed /mnt/etc/inittab
		... fix it ... and write it out ...
	umount /dev/dsk/0s0
	sync
	sync
	sync
	uadmin 2 0
When the system shuts down take out the boot floppy and reboot from the hard disk.

   -John Plocher