ksh-e SYSV/AT Slow Start Up

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Sat Jul 15 18:39:07 AEST 1989

In article <Jul.10.18.51.04.1989.7782 at geneva.rutgers.edu>, hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

> Ksh keeps a history file.  It keeps growing.  As far as I can see, ksh
> never truncates the file.  It slows down linearly as the file grows.
> You want to remove the file now and then.

Ksh will allow the history file ($HISTFILE) to grow without bound *until you
log out*, at which time, the history file is truncated to $HISTSIZE bytes.  You
should never have to truncate the file by hand unless you never logout.
--
Derek Terveer 	    det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)789-8643

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain