Missing inodes on V/386 & News

David F. Carlson dave at micropen
Tue Jul 25 23:15:33 AEST 1989

In article <456 at wa3wbu.UUCP>, john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>   I have been having a repeating problem recently with loosing inodes
> in my News file system. I have a seperate file system ( /dev/dsk/1s3 )
> on my 2nd hard disk for /usr/spool/news. About every other day the inode
> count gets screwed up.
> John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john

Although it appears that fsck "fixes" the problem, it does not!
Tar out the file system to /tmp.  mkfs the file system again.  Bump up
the inodes so that you are guaranteed to run out of blocks before inodes.
My news is is 15 meg and has 15000 inodes (yes, one per block.)  I just
got tired of this and went crazy, but it *never* has had the problem again!

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave at ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll