Lost Console Recovery

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Tue Jul 25 09:54:11 AEST 1989

In article <5728 at obdient.CHI.IL.US> blair at obdient.CHI.IL.US (Doug Blair) writes:
>In article <5817 at pbhyf.PacBell.COM>, peb at PacBell.COM (Pat Bowens) writes:
>
>> While working with 386
>> release 3.0e, I carelessly turned off my console in etc/inittab.
>
>Pat: This one's relatively easy. First, login via an alternate console
>(hit Alt and F2 for a login prompt). You won't be able to login as root,
>but just about any other password you remember is fine.  Next, use the
>su command to become root. Third, edit the inittab file. Fourth issue
>a "telinit Q" command to fire up the getty on the console device.

It's been awhile since I've used uPort's Unix, but I did the same thing under
SCO's Xenix.  I did a telinit and the initab had the console turned off.

All I did was re-boot the system (big red switch time!), and when it came up
at the "type D to proceed, or enter password for system maintenance, I entered
the password, and the system comes up with the console.  Inittab is not run.

Don't I remember SYS V acting this way????

bill
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP