Help needed installing 2.4.0

M.R.Murphy mrm at Sceard.COM
Sun Jul 30 05:57:33 AEST 1989

In article <2421 at wa4mei.UUCP> rsj at wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI) writes:

>I tried to use some ST-4096 drives on my system with V/AT and out of about
>6 drives that I tried I could only get one of them to work for any longer
>than a couple of days and it only lasted for a couple of weeks before I
>started getting seek errors on it also.
>
>I don't feel that the Seagate drives can hold up to the workout that unix
>gives them.
We've been using ST4096 for about 2 years (16 drives, 2/system) under SV/AT,
WD1003-WA2.  The only problem with a drive that we've had is when one system
was thrown off the back of a truck. Then the drive made real funny screeching
noises when it was turned on. No funny smell, just the noises... and lots of
i/o errors. The drive is currently being rebuilt, just to see if that's a
reasonable thing to do. Trying to use RLL controllers, the 4096 seemed too
flakey to use.
>[stuff deleted...] I
>have now switched to two of the CDC Wren ESDI drives and am very happy with
>the results.

Good to hear, thanks.
---
Mike Murphy  Sceard Systems, Inc.  544 South Pacific St. San Marcos, CA  92069
mrm at Sceard.COM        {hp-sdd,nosc,ucsd,uunet}!sceard!mrm      +1 619 471 0655