UUCP PROBLEM ON MICROPORT V/386 3.0e

Michael Grenier mike at cimcor.mn.org
Mon Jun 19 21:53:57 AEST 1989

>From article <780 at redsox.bsw.com>, by campbell at redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell):
> There was also a really irritating bug in the uucico shipped with
> Microport System V/AT, which was that uucico dumped core if the calling
> system's uucico was running with the debug flag!  (uucico -xn, for any
> nonzero value of n).  We reported this to Microport and they said they
> knew about it and had no intention of fixing it.  (This was long before
> they went belly-up.)

Wooo....hold on there cowboy. One reason Microport may not have bothered
to fix it is that they were/are shipping the Honey Damber upgrade
which is a much better UUCP and the uucico program does not dump core
with the debugging. The cost of the upgrade was only about $20 to $30
(I don't remember). In fact, it was free if you downloaded it from their
BBS...If nothing else, spend the $20 and buy Microport's BBS software
disks which should have it.

Trying to get UNIX programs to run on braindamaged 64K segmented machines
with 16 bit integers is not trivial. Bear in mine that Microport got
the broken programs from AT&T and they fixed many of them.

> I don't know if they shipped the same braindead uucico with their
> 386 product,

No. The AT&T System V/386 product ships with HDB UUCP.

    -Mike Grenier
    mike at cimcor.mn.org