> 2 drives in uPort?

Randall L. Smith randy at rls.UUCP
Fri Jun 9 04:11:11 AEST 1989

In article <965 at hawkmoon.MN.ORG>, det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
> What are the types of drive interfaces that the 386 3.0e product will handle
> (just st506?) and how many drives?  (just 2?)

No.  I am running a 180MB ESDI maxtor disk on a WD1007A-WA2.  The full disk
is usable because the controller computes the offsets.  It is only a 10Mb/sec
controller.  There is a new WD ESDI controller (WD1008-V??) that is 15Mb/sec
and will support the faster 15Mb/sec ESDI drives.

> If it turns out to be just 2 hard drives, i suppose i will then have to go for
> two big drives instead of 4 medium drives (that i already have).

I don't know why you *need* X number of drives or spindles, but with big ESDI
the drive partitions can be arranged to your liking.  I have /usr and /usr2.
When you upgrade to the 300MB or 600MB or 1.2GB ESDI disks, number of disks
becomes a moot point unless there are application specific issues.

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy at rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu