Login problems with System V/386 3.0e

Jonathan C. Broome jonathan at ism780c.isc.com
Sun Jun 25 17:13:26 AEST 1989

In article <2765 at maccs.McMaster.CA> nusip at maccs.UUCP (Mike Borza) writes:
:      [that he can't log in remotely]
:
: I believe the problem is probably in the "final-flags" field of
: /etc/gettydefs.  In particular, I had similar problems when the
: SANE flag was present.  Also, on my 386/ix 2.0.1 system, `stty sane'
: logs me out from a directly connected terminal.  I believe the cause
: is the same, but haven't had time to isolate it.
:
: Anybody got any ideas?

Pretty close. The problem is generally that gettydefs and/or stty is clearing
the CLOCAL bit on a serial line without the modem control signals wired up.
The software approach is to change gettydefs to keep CLOCAL on, while the
hardware approach is to wire the cable to either pass DCD through or to
force it high.  Also, using an absolutely-no-modem-control device should
do the trick as well.

   ---Jonathan Broome		jonathan at ism780c.isc.com