screwy format message

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Mon Jun 26 15:40:26 AEST 1989

Whenever i try to format my (new) 3.5" floppy (1.44M) with a 720K diskette in
it i get the following message:

$ format /dev/rdsk/f13dt	#lo density device name;  f13ht = hi density
formatting.
Formatted 0 tracks: 0 thru 4294967295, interleave 1.

It prints this immediately and i don't think it even accesses the drive.

What does this mean?  Is my format broken and is there a newer one out there
that i can get that will work better?

derek

Ps. it also seems that once i get an error on either of the drives, particuarly
when attempting to do a dosdir and i get the "media descriptor bad" or some
such nonsense, it makes the driver unusable until i reboot.   This seems
somewhat unreasonable.
--
Derek Terveer 	    det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain