tgetstr stomps memory in SV/AT 2.4

Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard jay at splut.UUCP
Sat Mar 11 07:56:11 AEST 1989

I think, anyway.
I'm trying to recompile rn with SPEEDOVERMEM #undef'ed, to do away with
the core dump in large newsgroups. Unfortunately, when I try the
recompiled version, I get a memory fault in term_set, in term.c.

Examination of the code reveals that Larry Wall used the termcap
interface to the terminfo database. Well and good, and great for
portability, right? Except for one minor problem: when he does a
tgetstr("cm",&tmpaddr), the stack is clobbered. tmpaddr points to a
char[512].

Is this really a termcap/curses bug? Or is it more esoteric? I'm pretty
sure that it's 2.3- or 2.4-specific, since I'm running rn compiled last
April, and it runs fine (except for the article number problem).

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:        uunet!nuchat!   (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.