Microport out of biz rumor

Bill Baker wab at reed.UUCP
Thu Mar 23 01:48:06 AEST 1989

>From: plocher at uport.UUCP (John Plocher)
>
>Microport isn't dead. Microport isn't bankrupt. Microport isn't out of business.
>We are still shipping product.  We are still answering tech support calls.
>
>Life isn't all roses, though.  Slow cash flow is the reason we weren't at
>Uniforum.

Microport may not have been at UniForum but Microport employees were,
handing out resumes.  I guess death is a relative value in the industry, but
any company that lays-off all of it's programmers is brain dead.  I
also think it's a little dishonest to keep selling a product that will
probably be unsupported in the very near future, but caveat emptor.

I'm sad to see Microport go down the tubes.  The existence of a
competing UNIX OS on PC product was good for the market.  I know for a
fact that the $199 OS price made some folks at SCO nervous.  The
competition for employees in the Santa Cruz area also forced SCO to
pay more than the industry equivalent of slave wages.