Backups on System V/AT

Bill Davidson billd at celerity.UUCP
Fri Mar 17 06:45:40 AEST 1989

Sorry to bring back this old thread but it's one that bothers me.

Has anyone come up with a convenient, reliable backup method for
System V/AT (286)?  The last time I got this subject going, porting
dump was discussed (this would be ideal to me as it's a program
that I am familiar with on other systems).  I managed to sort of
port BSD 4.1 dump, or at least, get it so it made tapes without
complaining.  I don't know if it worked because restore is impossible
to port (or at least, it requires more time than I have).  restor seems
like a piece of crap and I can't get it to work either.  Has anyone
tried using PAX?  How about Gnu tar?  If anyone has a dump/restore
set-up going, I'd like to know about it.  Regular tar and cpio are
not good backup programs.  I currently use cpio because I can feed
it an arbitrary list of filenames.  I don't like it and reliability
is something of a problem with big backups.

	Bill Davidson