Call To Save Microport

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon Mar 27 06:54:42 AEST 1989

In article <282 at nessus.UUCP> pst at nessus.UUCP (Paul Traina) writes:
>> In article <316 at CIPHER_1.UUCP> jmsully at CIPHER_1.UUCP (John M. Sully) writes:
>	...drivel & flames
>
>Look, this was obviously a forgery,  so don't blame Sully.

Not necessarially.

I called the number given in the posting.  The person named did admit to
sending that very article to John Sully, but claimed that he had asked
John to "clean it up and post it".  Obviously it wasn't cleaned up.  He
also said that his phone had been ringing off the hook..........

The site it was posted from is bogus, but it DID go directly to uunet.
Therefore, it is probably reasonable to assume that it came from a
subscriber's system.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was indeed posted
by John or someone else with access to his account.

All it takes to change the node name on a posting is a little creative editing
on the file itself before it is picked up for outbound spooling, or setting
the nodename to something different before you post.....

I wouldn't be surprised if there are serious repercussions from that little
bitty of misinformation...

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]