ps *insists* on accessing floppy on Microport SysV/AT 2.4

Steve Rudek stever at tree.UUCP
Mon May 1 03:25:21 AEST 1989

About a month ago I wrote describing how I'd managed to save the root file
system by using "installit" and substituting "list" (a new installation) for
list.ug (upgrade path).  It worked except that "ps" thereafter insisted on
always accessing the floppy drive.

I got a number of thoughtful responses (thanks!) with with the most
practical being:

--
I tried "ps -s /dev/null" and it does NOT try and read the floppy.  I don't
"know why" though.  I gather I'm running the kernel still somehow rooted on

brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/swap
brw-r--r--   5 root     sys        1, 70 Mar 28 17:21 /dev/dsk/fd
brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/dsk/0s25