microport mail(x) program

T. William Wells bill at twwells.uucp
Thu May 18 05:21:25 AEST 1989

In article <1542 at bebux.UUCP> henk at bebux.UUCP (Henk Dijkstra) writes:
: I am trying to implement a mailserver. Therefore I will have to try to
: feed every received mail item to a shell script. The problem is I don't
: know how to do that (automatically), the DEC mailserver uses BSD-style mail
: and can have in the /usr/lib/aliases file a pipe to the mail scanning program.
: With microport however there is a (ATT-style?) mail wich doesn't work
: like that. (Mail forwarding is done differently)
: Is there still someting possible to pass every mail item to a program?

I do it in a very scuzzy way: I have a cron job that prints the mail
using the mail program; that is then processed by whatever I want.

If you want to see the code, send the following message:

	path <path from me to you or user at domain>
	send help
	send db.serv.shar

to twwells!comp-archives-server. That will give you my help message
and the scripts I use for the server. Note that you do not write "<>"
around the path. I talk directly to uunet, so you should have no
problem getting to me.

: Or do I have to implement a more "universal" mailer?
: Comming to that has someone already implemented an internet style mailer
: under microport Sys V/386... (I would love to be able to use internet addresses
: i.o. bang notation.

Get smail. And if you are doing more than uucp mail, sendmail.  I run
smail on my system and it runs fine.

---
Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill