Modem problems with Trailblazer +

Vernon C. Hoxie vern at zebra.UUCP
Thu Apr 5 06:02:42 AEST 1990

In article <513 at compnect.UUCP>, dave at compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) writes:
> Before someone whips out their RTFM auto-reply, I have. I have NO man
> pages for uugetty either in the system or the books. getty works but the
> modem argues with it. uugetty works but the modem won't respond at 9600.

One of the problems I have experienced with TB's and other modems is the
echo function in the modem.  When the modem answers the line, it emits a
'RING'.  This can trigger the getty/uugetty.  It also sets 'login' to
an upper case only mode and sends "PLEASE LOGIN:" instead of "Please
login:".

On my TB, I have the echo function set to 'Q6'.  This allows limited
echoing from the modem which uucp can handle.  On a Midcom (sp?), we had
to set echoing off, 'Q1', and put a 'ATQ0' at the start of the chat
script in order to get an 'OK' when starting up.

As far as manuals is concerned, the Nutshell books are widely
recommended.  I have the one with a Bear on the cover.  I feel that it
is better when setting up various uucp sites than the one with an Ibex
on the cover.  Really can't say absolutely since I have not studied the
version with the Ibex.

BTW. I have written a program which provides a set of interactive screens
for programming a TB and testing different termio(7) settings.  It was
written with 'curses' on a SYSV machine.  As far as I know, it hasn't been
tried on any other system.  If anyone wants a copy, they can get it from
the osu/3b1 archive or conntact me.

--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780