ksh / emacsmode ???

Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard jay at splut.conmicro.com
Wed Aug 1 20:16:54 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul30.202358.11116 at kth.se> perand at admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
>In article <5KV&Z9C at splut.conmicro.com> jay at splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>>In article <1990Jul29.141650.26386 at kth.se> perand at admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
>>>I just can't remember how to switch on emacs editing in ksh.
>>You don't.
>Yes, I do. I do have the emacs version, so that wasn't the problem.

Sorry about that; I made an unwarranted assumption - that you were using
the vi version.

>For others that might be in the same situation,
>EDITOR=emacs;export EDITOR
>VISUAL=emacs;export VISUAL
>FCEDIT=emacs;export FCEDIT
>in your .profile does the trick. It's probably the FCEDIT that does the trick.
>Also if the shell is already started 'set -o emacs' turns it on immediatly.
>Thanks to everyone responding!

The VISUAL variable isn't necessary, but having the other two set
probably is. I seem to remember that the manpage says that it's EDITOR
that it looks at, but I think FCEDIT is needed, too. Note that the shell
looks at the last part of the variable value, and as long as it ends in
emacs, it's OK; my FCEDIT contains the full path name of the emacs
program.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay at splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.