V/AT2.3 Hard Disk File Size Limit?

Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard jay at splut.conmicro.com
Fri Feb 23 11:32:38 AEST 1990

In article <8815 at wpi.wpi.edu> markc at wpi.wpi.edu (Mark B. Cohen) writes:
>I keep encountering what appears to be an intrinsic file
>size limit on hard disk files:  Any attempt by any program
>to write a file larger than 1,228,800 bytes fails.

This isn't a bug, it's a feature...officially, according to AT&T. Look
up 'ulimit' in the book.

Microport made it relatively simple to change:
As root, say 'patch /unix ulpatch 0x7fff'. This will raise the ulimit to
32K 512-byte blocks (I think...maybe it's 32K 1K-byte blocks). In any
case, the largest file on my system is in the 3.5 meg range, so that has
worked well for me.

General question: Is that number signed or unsigned? Can I get away with
0xffff, or will it cause problems?

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay at splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.