Ventura Publisher under uport dosme

klshafer at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu klshafer at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Mon Feb 19 08:53:00 AEST 1990

>In article <131672 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, williamt at athena1.Sun.COM (William
>A. Turnbow) writes:
>
> 	For some obscure reason, Ventura does not run in dosmerge.  Its
> been a while, but I seem to remember it just hung the dos window, with
> the window remaining blank.  The process had to be killed from another
> terminal.  I am running with an EGA monitor.
>
> 	Anyone know any reasons for this?  Ventura runs fine under native
> DOS.

RE: Making Ventura Publisher run under Microport DosMerge...

Early versions of DosMerge did not work with Ventura, but what I have
now does work:
   Compaq 16mhz 386 with 4mb ram and 40mb drive
   Microport System V/386 3.0e (unlimited)
   DosMerge 1.1U
   Ventura 1.1 .

Other considerations that may be important are:
   use a Microsoft serial mouse (buss mouse may not work)
   leave Ventura on your DOS partition (drive E: under DosMerge); I
      haven't tried Ventura from the integrated UNIX/DOS file system
      (drive C: in DosMerge)
   I am running a Hercules InColor card, 720x348, compatible with the Herc
      monochrome standard (this is not to be confused with the Herc Color
      card, which is a CGA), and I had to make a custom entry in the
      /etc/dosdev file for 'fast hercules - fherc' - you should not have
      to do this if you have EGA, but for performance sake, you will want
      to use 'fast EGA - fega', the only disadvantage is that you will
      not be able to switch to your other virtual consoles.
   Make sure you invoke DosMerge to give you maximum 640k
   When you installed Ventura on your DOS partition, it created a vp.bat file
      under C:\  --  make a copy of this file, and modify it to have a
      first line of cd e:\ventura (let's call this new file dosmvp.bat) .

Assuming that the serial mouse is on com1: and your printer is on lpt1:,
invoke DosMerge with the following:

#dos +adcom1 +afega +alpt1 +m640      (this attaches com1: directly,
                                       fast ega mode attached directly,
                                       lpt1: attached directly, and 640k)
C>merge set fastclk on                (increase interrupt rate for mouse)
C>e:                                  (DosMerge drive e: is DOS drive c:)
E>cd \mouse1                       (assume mouse driver is in \mouse1)
E>mouse                            (load the mouse driver)
E>cd \                             (let's get back to the root directory)
E>dosmvp                           (invoke Ventura by changing directory
                                    to e:\ventura before ventura DRVMGR)

If you have been using Ventura in the DOS partition, then all of the
chapter open's, load text's, change style's etc. will look on the C:
drive - all of these references need to be changed to the E: drive, but
other than that it works just the same.

I also tried hooking up the Microsoft mouse to a port on my 4-port
Arnet serial board and invoking with a
#dos +acom1=/dev/tty01 +afherc +alpt1 +m640

and it worked, but slowly - the mouse response was too draggy; you
really need to connect these devices in 'direct' mode.

If the devices are attached directly, response time is ok, though a
bit slower than in native DOS (of course), as long as you are not
running any other DosMerge sessions (say, text applications on dumb
terminals.)  Performance is still ok if your run lightly loaded UNIX
tasks at the terminals (vi, for example.)

Good Luck.

I  Regards,                                                         I
I         klshafer at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                             I