Cnews ported to V/AT?

Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard jay at splut.conmicro.com
Sun Feb 11 08:57:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb8.182437.25095 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <3+1:A3- at splut.conmicro.com> jay at splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>>>Has anyone ported C-news to Microport V/AT? ...
>>It's not simple. In particular, expire and relaynews need to be compiled
>>in large model, or else they run out of memory...
>I'm a bit surprised at that, as they do run on 16-bit machines, but this
>is somewhat a function of things like how many groups you get.  If your
>active file is 28KB (like ours), this clearly raises storm warnings for
>16-bit programs that want to keep it all in core.

Well, they run...but they fail in the middle. Expire complains about
running out of memory, sometimes saying that it's trying to read a line
of history, sometimes not; relaynews simply fails mysteriously. My
active file:
-rw-rw-r--   1 usenet   news       20865 Feb 10 15:50 /usr/lib/news/active
Not huge, but not trivial, either.

Unfortunately, rebuilding just expire and relaynews in large model is
such a pain that I haven't applied the January 1990 patches yet; I don't
know if they'd fix the problem or not.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay at splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.